22 October, 2008

Peine de Mort

Best Week(end) Ever, Part 3

I had an Orientation on Friday with all the other English assistants and one teacher from each school. And bonus for me – two of my teachers came! It was eight long hours of talking about the French system, our roles, what the kids should learn from us. Mostly boring stuff, I thought.

The most interesting thing that happened: we had a debate. It was to be conducted in French, so we could know how the kids would feel if they had one in English. The topic was the death penalty, and I was assigned to the “for” side. Which, you know, sucks for me because I happen to be totally against the death penalty.

But I know all about debates. I know I don’t have to really be the side I’m assigned, it’s all pretend, yada yada. I’m not surprised that my partner and I were able to come up with some really convincing arguments (even though I’m sure with some research I could confidently counter every single one). What shocks me is that we won. Yeah, two of the other assistants judged the debate, and we won.

Blech. I feel like I need to redeem myself or something. This is totally not cool.

The rest of the day was lovely. After the orientation we walked around the town (the name is escaping me right now). C has had a few meetings here before, so she knew the cool things to see. Among my favorites are this house:


And this:

It’s the inside of a store. I wish we had stores like that in Jersey. Can you imagine shopping inside an awesome centuries-old house?

No comments: