10 October, 2008

La Vie Telephonique

Screw the accents. I can't do them on Blogger.

Thursday was an awesome day! I went to the library in the morning and prepared some info on American Breakfasts. I didn’t actually use it in class today, but getting started with a lesson really helped me get into teaching mode. I’ve never taught before, and this was really, really fun.

Catehrine’s class was funny today because the kids were so shocked about the size of British breakfasts. They thought, with all the food in the video, that it must have definitely been lunch. Wait until they see American breakfast!

In Latetia’a class today we were still working on stereotypes. The students had to pick a European country, then use the internet to find two stereotypes and then find out the corresponding truths. It was interesting. Sarah Laits is a smart girl that was curious about me from the beginning. She is a round girl with short brown hair who shines from within (I know that sounds silly but it’s true). She asked if she and her friend could work with me, so we did. We had Ireland. I learned that only ten percent of the Irish population is redheaded, and St. Patrick is not Irish, but he was born in Wales. Whoa!

After classes, I met with Karen in the salle des professeurs and we went to get me a cell phone. I am so happy that she was willing to come with me, because otherwise I would not have been able to understand everything. I got a nice little prepaid phone with lots of neat extras. I have an alarm clock and I can play sudoku! I can call only use the phone to call within France, but I am happy that I have it in case of an emergency. I also bought an international phone card. It was only 15Euros and I have 858 minutes to talk! I can call cell phones with it too! But it wasn’t working at all when I tried it in the phone booth. So I have to go back to the store tomorrow and see if I can get some help.

Karen was such a help to me and I am so grateful for it. The man that helped us in the store, Julien, asked if he could have an English lesson, and I thought it would be a great idea to do a free exchange of language type of thing. He agreed that we could do one hour of English conversation and then one hour of French conversation. So I have his number, and I can’t wait to get that started. What a way to learn!

I don't have much else to say right now...so here's a silly picture of me pretending to talk on my new phone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Healthy on the Job: Workplace Wellness said...

Ash, My apologies for being away from your blog for several days....life is way too busy right now....plus I can't find things in my office and my files are a mystery and there are a million presentations to do and my plants are half dead because I keep forgetting to water them and there is stuff in piles all over my floor! Aghhh!!! But seriously, your blog is wonderful and so much fun to read. I love the pictures too!