10 October, 2008

Globetrotter

Not really (the globe is pretty damn big), but I would love to travel Europe while I am here. So I guess really that makes me a continenttrotter.

My lead teacher Catherine Hellegouarc’h is from England, and today she asked me if I would like to go to England with her. She will be going there for New Year’s, and she has already asked her family if I could come too. They seem thrilled at the idea, and I am too! I’m just so touched by how generous all of the professors are being. I’ve had invitations to go for walks along the Lisieux countryside or to go into the nearby city Caen, and now I’ve been invited to England! Karen came bowling the other night and has invited me to go swimming with her every Tuesday, or out for drinks. She's also going to help me get a phone. And on top of all that, I sometimes find e-mails in my inbox from teachers who are just curious about how I am finding France so far. It’s hard to describe how good it feels to know that these people are thinking about me. They really don’t have to care, but they do, and I kind of didn’t expect that. The way people stereotype the French in the USA, I expected everyone to ignore me. So it’s nice that they’re not.

Plans so far:

-Travel to Caen with Catherine and Latetiea (both English teachers) to see the exhibition there about September 11th

-Travel to the D-Day beaches with some of the English teachers and some of the more advanced students

-Travel to London for New Year’s Weekend! We’re probably gonna take the chunnel. How cool! We’ll also go to Jersey. Catherine wants to see it because she hasn’t been there yet, and I want to see it because, well, it’s technically my homeland.

No comments: