25 November, 2008

Ten Awesomest Moments in Forrest Gump

My father and I have a lot of movies we consider to be ours. Terminator 2. True Romance. Pretty much anything with Christopher Walken. But I think the one that will always mean the most to me is Forrest Gump. Since the first time we watched it together, Forrest has had a sort of thrall over me. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve seen the film, but I do know that I’ve never once watched it without crying. I can’t exactly put a finger on what the magic is in this movie. Is it Tom Hanks’ incredible performance? Alan Silvestri’s inspiring score? The completely accurate soundtrack? Or is it the way that Forrest can so simply answer some of the most complicated questions we have in this life? As is usually the case with the tough questions, I think the answer is a combination of all of the theories.



There's no question in my mind that all the awards and nominations given to Forrest Gump were justified. Although I do think that Gary Sinise should have won supporting actor Oscar too. It's a damn shame he didn't.

I watched Forrest Gump the other night and, since I was all alone, I could really enjoy the film. Really appreciate all of its best moments, without feeling like a tool for crying.

Honorable Mentions:
These moments come in after the top ten, mostly because I think they’re always recognized as awesome moments. But I just can’t leave them out of this entry.

-Freebird scene
-We was like peas and carrots
-Little Forrest grunts like the disgusting principal
-All of Forrest's encounters with the presidents
-Run, Forrest, Run

And now, without further adieu, here are what I found to be the ten awesomest moments in the film.


10. Shrimp conversation
– This scene is of course wonderful because of Bubba. I’ve heard there are Bubba Gump restaurants out there, and it’s my dream to eat at one someday. Bubba is such an incredible character. He’s Forrest’s best good friend in the army, and it’s hard to pick a favorite scene, because I think all the one’s he’s in are great. It was a toss-up between the shrimp scene and his death scene. I chose shrimp because it’s more upbeat, and also what I find to be a unique depiction of life in the army. It really demonstrates just how mundane life in the army can be. Bubba prattles on and on about all the types of shrimp and Forrest listens while they assemble guns, wash floors and shine shoes. Maybe in movie time the speech is only two minutes long, but you know in “real” time this conversation spanned days. What an incredible way to show life in the army.

9. I just felt like running – This is what Forrest says in response to all the reporters questioning him on why he continues to run across America. They push possible reasons down his throat: “Are you doing it for world peace?” “Are you doing it to fight hunger?” “Are you doing it for animals?” Forrest’s response is at once the most simple and the most genuine. He just felt like running. Sometimes I feel like that too.


8. Lt. Dan pushes drunk chick off him for asking if Forrest is stupid – I don’t remember the chick’s name, despite having seen the movie [insert ridiculous number here] times, and I think that’s kind of the point. She’s some plastered hussy ready to give Lt. Dan some action which, considering his attitude, one would assume he doesn’t get too much. That in mind, and especially after all the terrible things he has said and done to Gump, Lt. Dan’s impulse to push this woman off of him for speaking negatively of Gump speaks volumes.


7. Forrest jumps off his shrimping boat when he hears his momma is sickThere are two moments when Forrest jumps off his shrimping boat. The first is when he sees Lt. Dan on the dock. He abandons ship completely just to say hello. But I think the second time, after he hears his mother is sick, is even more effective. I think it’s because when Forrest jumped for Lt. Dan it wasn’t a very far swim to the dock. When Forrest hears his mother is sick, there is no land nearby. The land that can be seen is far in the distance. But Forrest doesn’t take that into consideration. I’m a bit envious of how easy decisions are for Forrest. Mama is sick. So he goes to her. And that’s that.

6. Lt. Dan comes to Forrest’s wedding – Another Lt. Dan moment. What can I say? He’s an incredible character, and the one who I think changes the most throughout the film. And this moment is the one in which we can see the ultimate result of all those changes. He walks into that wedding with his titanium legs. “astronaut” goes back to the time when Lt. Dan said to Forrest, “The day you become a shrimping boat captain, that’s the day I’m an astronaut.” One gets the sense that Lt. Dan is finally content with being alive. He’s no longer angry with Forrest for rescuing him in Vietnam.

5. Fat southern man laughs off Forrest about shrimp company – the man in question, the very round one at the bus stop, has listened to Forrest’s stories about Vietnam and about his shrimping days. But when Forrest explains that he’s the owner of BubbaGump shrimp, the man laughs hysterically and walks away, refusing to believe it. After he’s gone, Forrest shows the woman on the bench a picture of Lt. Dan, which is in fact the cover of a Fortune magazine, which proves that Forrest was being truthful the whole time. This moment reminds me of how clear things are to Forrest. He knows the truth, and that is enough for him. It doesn’t matter who believes him or who doesn’t. He doesn’t challenge the man; he just lets it go. How many of us can do that, when someone doubts we’ve been involved with something we’re proud of? I know I wouldn’t be able to let that man go.

4. Forrest names his boat
I have to admit, I like this part of the movie because it’s the part where I feel most involved. When that man whose name I forgot tells Forrest it’s bad luck to have a boat without a name, and then Forrest says, “There was only one name I could think of,” I was like…I know what it is! I know what it is! It feels good to know the answer before your told, and that’s why I love this moment. Also because it’s a reminder of how pure Forrest’s devotion is to Jenny. He will never forget her. She will never not be on his mind. Don’t we all want someone to care about us that unyieldingly?

3. Lt. Dan makes his peace with God
– there have been a few shoutouts to Lt. Dan already, but this scene is my absolute favorite of his. Just after the great storm on the shrimping boat, Lt. Dan admits that he never thanked Forrest for saving his life. (About 5:00 on the video below) He then throws himself into the ocean. And Forrest can understand exactly what is happening: “I think Lt. Dan finally made his peace with God.” Lt. Dan looks so comfortable in all that water, so natural in that great sea, that whenever I see the scene I kind of feel like I’ve made my peace with God too.


2. Forrest doesn’t open little Forrest’s letter – Since the scene takes place at Jenny’s grave it’s already a tearjerker. But when he says, talking about their son, “he wrote you a letter. He says I can’t read it so I’ll just leave it here,” I can’t help but go into ugly cry. This line illustrates so clearly how much Forrest cares for his son. He would never do anything to hurt him, or betray his trust. It reminds me a little of the relationship between John Connor and the terminator.

1. Forrest asks if his son is smart, or like…
- Forrest doesn’t get to finish what comes after the ellipses because Jenny assures him that little Forrest is smart. I haven’t seen all of Tom Hanks’ movies, but I dare anyone to find a moment where Tom Hanks acts better than this. This is Forrest’s first concern when he finds out he’s a father, and Tom Hanks is able to capture the sheer volume of his anxiety. The way he stumbles back before he asks the question, and the relief he exhibits when he hears the answer… it’s just astounding. This is why he won the Oscar for best actor. And since I can't find a good video of that performance, go watch this video of Tom accepting the Oscar, which is also a tearjerker.

Best quote ever, and how I define my life:
"I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floatin' around accidental-like on a breeze. But I, I think maybe it's both."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I admire you for being able to make a top-10 list at all. I can't make decisions well enough to pick a top 10. Second, I love, love, love Forrest Gump, too. Might be the perfectest movie ever made, actually. Definitely Hanks' defining moment as an actor - way better than when he was talking to that volley ball, anyway...

t.

Daniel Donnelly said...

I really enjoyed this blog, what a wonderful read. I just watched Gump again last night and was researching some articles, reviews, etc, and your blog appeared in my search.

I'm glad I took the time to read it, and I think it's great that you picked out ten amazing scenes that are always overlooked in favor of the more "famous" scenes that you listed at the beginning.

Great stuff!