26 November, 2008

I am oh-so-happy that my library carries Time in its original English

This way, I can understand the letters to the editor. My favorite one today went like this:

Follow What Leader?
Michael Elliot's story on America's lost leadership was excellent. Yet one element is missing: the influence of U.S. culture, which we in Europe have imitated for years and which is still an overwhelming presence in technology, clothing, movies and casual Fridays. The American way of life may no longer be worshiped, but it is still admired. Even when laughed at or despised, America still sets trends as no other country does.

Sylvestre Bardet
Bricquebosq, France


There! Someone from my current country speaking honestly about the influence of my native country. How cool! It's true you know. I see way more American influence than I expected. Last night, I watched three hours of CSI: Miami, which here is called Les Experts: Miami. I guess a full translation of CSI would be too much to handle.

No comments: