29 September, 2008

Lisieux Day ---- I've lost count

Has it really almost been a week since I left home?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was mixed.

Saturday was a great day! I toook a picture tour of the center of my town for you.

My post office (beats the hell outta mine back home):

The cathedral:

The center of town:

My favorite bread and sweets shop, Artisan boulangerie et Patisserie:

It was a really awesome day because there was some sort of festival happening. I think it was French Community Day (just ignore the part where it only takes place in Belgium). There were all these vendors in the streets, kind of like Columbus Mart, and they were selling clothes, books, jewelry, food, shoes. The people here are obsessed with Converse, I've noticed.

Later in the afternoon (when I didn't have my camera of course) there was a beautiful play happening right in the middle of the street! There were three beautiful women dancing on stilts, and they were dressed like fairies. Their costumes were ornately decorated, and their faces were painted white. There were also (not on stilts) a couple of elves and a witch. The play was without dialogue, which is great because I would have been able to understand it had I not only caught the last ten minutes. Those ten minutes were pretty impressive though!

After the play was over, I went to the library, where I found Thirteen, the most horrifying movie ever made. And I realized after watching it in French that the dialogue is pretty minimal, and easy to understand! I also checked out an abridged childrens' version of Dracula, which I think will be fun to translate.

On Sunday, I woke up ill. Gunk in my mouth and throat, more crust in my eyes than usual. Feel free not to read about it. Also, the constant walking I've been doing has taken a pretty big toll on my foot. You know, the one I nearly broke three weeks ago? Apparantly I didn't let it heal because it is quite sore right now. And swollen. Also, it appears I have formed a blister right under one of my toenails and I think it might come off. The blister and the toenail I mean.

So yeah, yesterday I was feeling quite weak, and my head felt like it was underwater, but I still was desperate to find internet. It's been a long time since I've talked to my family - talked to anyone really, and I have this great internet phone, but no public internet anywhere, which sucks. So I got up, left my apartment and was presented with a beautiful sunshiny day. Bugger everyone who ever told me Normandy is all rain all the time! I ended up not having any luck with the net, so I just went home and rested. And I feel much better today!

Win of the day: I figured out how to use my shower without flooding the bathroom. It's tricky.

Fail of the day: I walked around town for an hour, following my map, trying to find a little internet cafe. When i finally found it, I realized it was three blocks from my home. And it was closed.

No comments: