08 September, 2008

Because one man's Tommy Lasorda is another man's Sidney Poitier

On Friday night there was a special on ABC, NBC, and CBS called Stnad Up 2 Cancer. It was incredible. Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Fergie, Sheryl Crow, Miley Cyrus, Melissa Etheridge, Ashanti, Natasha Bedingfield, Keyshia Cole, Ciara, Leona Lewis, LeAnn Rimes, and Carrie Underwood all got together to sing a beautiful song called "Just Stand Up."

And a whole slew of other A-List celebs from Kirsten Dunst to Patrick Swayze showed up to take donations or make incredible speeches about the importance of cancer research.

As soon as I saw what the show was about I knew I was going to make a donation. My boss, who is on a few "Fight back against cancer" committees, is such an inspiration to me. She does much to promote awareness about the disease, so of course I felt like a small contribution was necessary. I don't have much money right now, but I called and donated what I could. And then I got to talk to a celebrity! I didn't know who he was when I called, but it didn't matter. I commended him for taking the time to do something so important, and he assured me that my meager donation was not laugable at all.

If you have anything at all extra this week, I urge you to make a donation. As Meryl Streep said on the show, no one knows whose dollar is going to be the one that pushes this research over the top and is responsible for the cure. Here's where you can donate.

No comments: