17 September, 2008

Français Update

I used to have this line that divided excitement and nervousness. It has faded into oblivion. I can't really verbalize how I'm feeling. I'm stoked to see another country so intimately. I mean, I've seen other countries before, but I sort of flirted for a few days, used them, and left without really getting to appreciate much, use Spanish, or get to know any citizens. Semester at Sea was a whirlwind; France is going to be much, much different.

I imagine it will be a slower pace (once I ditch Paris and settle into Caen). I'll have to use the fraction of the language I know and develop it as much as possible, which really intimidates me. But hey, I dreamed in French last night. I think I was saying, "No, you can not put the chicken in the car. I have a room reserved. Please, I have nowhere else to stay. Give me my chicken." And yes, I have full faith that the opportunity will arise for me to say all of that to someone.

I booked my hostel for the first three days I will be there. Hella awesome. Apparantly, it's a great place to go to meet young, hip travellers like myself, but I shouldn't expect to shower. Oh, and they have a Volkswagon Beetle mounted to the wall. Be still my heart.

On my last day in Paris, I have plans to meet some other assistants at the Eiffel Tower. Could I ask for more? I get to meet people who are in this country, doing what I am so pumped to do, and see one of the most talked about sites in Paris at the same time! Genius. After that, I am off to my town, Lisieux. And that's where I start to freak a little, but only because I don't know exactly where I will be staying yet. There doesn't seem to be a hotel or hostel there that fits my budget. I did get a letter from the principal at my school that said I shouldn't worry and it seems that he will try to help me find some housing. So I guess the plan is to just show up with my bags and hope for the best.

It still doesn't feel real to me. Each time something happens - when I got my arrete de nomination, when I booked my plane ticket, when I reserved my hostel, even Monday when I went to get my visa from the consulate - France feels closer, but it still doesn't exactly feel like I'm going yet. I guess I won't get that feeling until I get on the plane next week.

I have so much left to take care of. First thing on my to-do list is to make a to-do list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey ash! Glad your feeling better over there, i know you'll have a great time, we love and miss you!
love Beanie