24 September, 2008

Day in Pictures, Ashley Style

Taking a cue from my primary international news source, I present:

Ashley's Day in Pictures!



It started in the Chicago O'Hare Airport when I traded some American dollars for some cold, hard Euros. Check 'em out!









Then I boarded a plane to Paris and flew threw a sunset:

which doesn't look that different from the sunrise:

After landing at Charles de Gaulle, I had to find my hostel, which proved harder than it seemed. I got lost in the airport, I got lost on the metro, and I got wayyyy lost in Paris (I didn't realize I was walking in the wrong direction until I got to the previous metro stop). After 2.5 hours of carting around my life in two suitcases, I made it, and was super pleased with what I found:

I think this is the best part:


And I bet Cara would think this is the best part: Sorry about the glare. Those are Beatles right?

And here's a sign from Woodstock's kitchen:























Isn't it a great symbol of interconnectedness? I've been thinking a lot about that lately. In fact, I think I'll share with you my journal entry on it from last night's plane ride. Forgive me if it make no sense. I didn't sleep.

"September 23rd, 5PM (Chicago)
Airplanes are incredible. Right now I am sitting on a 767 Boeing jet. That means it has three columns (like I've only seen in the movies). There are 42 rows on this one. That means, when it's full to capacity, there are 294 people. Plus captains, attendants, and all the luggage in the cargo hold. That is a f***ton of weight! What an incredible invention. It can't possibly be good for the environment. Will they ever engineer smart planes?

I CAN NOT BELIEVE I AM DOING THIS.

I really don't have the cajones for this type of travel. What was I thinking when I accepted this assistantship?

Calm down, Ashley. You're just nervous. You've got a lot of love and support back home. People have faith in you.

The captain just made his announcement and I am realizing that this is the last official announcement I will hear in English. I am about to fly away from my home country into a foreign one, where I will be expected to speak and understand French. I will communicate with people using that language, and prepare students to do the same thing with my language. I have never before felt so connected. To the French, to Tapan who did this when he came to the US, to travelers everywhere who do this all the time.

And I'd like to end this meditation on connectedness by saying I am really glad that the seat next to me is empty. 8 hours. Leg room. All I'm sayin."


Wasn't enough leg room. Didn't sleep. Severely jetlagged. More to come soon!

No comments: