14 January, 2012

french cough syrup...good to the last drop

So I'm sick for the 6th time since I've come to France. It's pretty wonderful. You know, I get to be laid up in bed on a beautiful Saturday night in a hopping university town, chugging cough syrup and spraying solution up my nose (note to self: do the spray first - it's disgusting!) while I tear through my 24 pack of lotus tissues.

I have to say, I'm not surprised I'm sick. I gave my immune system a beating over Christmas holidays being lazy and eating too much sugar. My body wants me to know I screwed up. It's interesting for me to think that my habits brought this on. Throughout my life, I was always unhealthy, but rarely sick. Eating shit food and not exercising was normal for me. Now, it's the other way around. I can feel it when I haven't been healthy, and it hurts. I gotta say, as uncomfortable as I am this week, it's pretty awesome to know that the healthy space is now my norm.

Anyway, to apologize to my aching, no-energy having body, I'm starting a detox on Monday. Apparantly this works really well for a friend of mine whenever she's feeling off or out of balance. It's basically a diet of whole grains (except wheat), veggies, fruits, and healthy oils. Vegan and gluten-free. And tons of water.

I went to the French version of Pamela's health food store today and got myself loaded up on brown rice, quinoa, millet, oats and rice cakes. Tomorrow it's the open air market for all my seasonal fruit and veg. If I can get out of bed, that is. I wish these vendors would deliver.

1 comment:

N said...

They do! www.mon-panier-bio.com