06 April, 2011

NaPoMo 2011

Hey! It's National Poetry Month, which means I'll be writing a poem a day!

Last year I fell off track right around day 26, when I tried to write a poem about a sensitive carpenter.

This year, to get me through to day 30, I have a plan. The first part of this plan: keep track of my efforts on this blog. I might not get to post every day, but I hope to post all 30 by the end of April.

The second element of this plan is inspiration. I didn't have a muse last year, and I struggled with topics. This year, I've got a crapload of black & wtf photos to keep me going. I chose my favorite 30 from the batch. Each day, a new photo, a new poem. I might stick to the thirty I chose, or I might branch out. Who knows? Black and wtf photos has a new one up every day.

Oh, I almost forgot. I'll also be translating a poem a day from French to English. So far, I've only translated Jacques Prevert. His language is simple, and his poetry is beautiful. It's a good fit for me. Still, holla if you want me to attempt a translation of your favorite French poem, and I'll do my best.

I leave you with two of my new favorite poems, from incredibly talented poets who I saw read at Drew University:

"For Estefani Lora, Third Grade, Who Made Me A Card" by Aracelis Girmay
"Who Says the Eye Loves Symmetry" by Pat Rosal

No comments: