02 December, 2008

Agitation

From page 5 of the George Bush exit interview with Charles Gibson:

Bush:I'll be frank with you. I don't spend a lot of time really worrying about short-term history. I guess I don't worry about long-term history, either, since I'm not going to be around to read it -- (laughter) -- but, look, in this job you just do what you can. The thing that's important for me is to get home and look in that mirror and say, I did not compromise my principles. And I didn't. I made tough calls. And some presidencies have got a lot of tough decisions to make --


So, W, that would pretty much mean you don't care about any history at all? As long as it doesn't affect you, right?

I just have one question: Are there really people out there who still think George Bush was a good president? I mean, I know there are people out there who defend him, who say he did the best he could. But does anyone really believe that?

I really wish I could watch the World News tonight. That's when the interview is airing. Than again, just reading the transcripts is infuriating. And there was a five-minute preview of the interview that really rubbed me the wrong way. Bush says he's sorry for certain things, like the economy and the way, but it just seems so...unapologetic. Perhaps it's better for me not to watch his face as he so indifferently talks about the decisions he's made. To him, that's all they are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is quite possibly the most indifferent, unapologetic person I've ever seen and I totally refuse to watch his smug face on T.V. Even the Republicans I know (for the most part) don't think in hindsight (of course) that he did a very good job. But I can think of one or two that still adore him. I may have married a Republican, but thank God I didn't marry a Bush Republican. And isn't it funny that now the Repubs are divided into Bush-lovers and non-Bush lovers? Crazy...

t.