21 August, 2008

[Internet] Radio Edit

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

To be honest, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. I really hope that Pandora doesn't have to shit down (or shut down, but I rather like the typo I made there) because of the bullshit RIAA, because I don't know how I would get though my workday without this free internet radio. Ever since Ken Tompkins introduced us to it via our LittMajors ListServ, I have been grateful for it. It only plays songs that I like, and nothing inappropriate for the workplace ever comes up. I have been introduced to many new artists and sometimes it reminds me of a wonderful song that I haven't been appreciating lately. If it weren't for Pandora, I would have to listen to seven hours a day of SoJo 104.9, which is not at all something I want to do again. Even if Pandora does shut down, I will gladly switch to one of these other internet radio sites, and leave the Pussycat Dolls on the stereo of a coworker.

I'm naively hoping that Pandora by some miracle stays up, but here are some other internet radio channels, just in case:


www.slacker.com
- There are many different categories to choose from, and I was pleasantly surprised when the first song that came up was "Damaged" by Danity Kane, but I would assume most people would not be as happy as I am about this. The UK Hits and UK Indies channels look promising, though.

free.napster.com - Happy that they have all of my favorite Regina songs, but it's taking forever to buffer. Hmmm.

nutsie - This has the most awesome feature of any, where you can listen to the Top 50 songs from any given year. Right now I'm listening to the most popular songs my senior year of High School. Rock out with your "Goodies" by Ciara out.

mp3tunes.com - You can make a Music Locker with this site and then stream all of the music from your home library from any computer. How rock is that? I'm sure it'll take a while to upload the mp3s, but it seems totally worth it. There's also a Playmix Player that seems to work the same as Pandora. I just don't have time to make an account right now, so we'll have to see later.

last.fm - Looks pretty awesome, even though it got some bad reviews on the comments of the Consumerist article. First thing it tells me on the homepage is that right now, 2,066 people are listening to Weezer's Buddy Holly. And that makes them all right in my book. And another thing, I just discovered Wilco on here, and I am totally in love.

For your viewing pleasure:

When my parents got their first computer, the sample disc with extra windows goodies had this video on it. And so it will always have a special place with me.

No comments: