27 September, 2011

three lessons and a lucky star

Nathalie says I have a lucky star, and she is so right. I don't know what I have been smoking lately, but I have been doing really stupid things. And for some reason I haven't been completely put out. I guess they make for good stories.

Lesson One: Don't share too much on the subway in Paris
I'm travelling with a HUGE suitcase, a 20 pound bookbag, and a handbag. Lots and LOTS of shady looking dudes get on four stops away from mine. Also enter a nice older looking woman, who leans against my bookbag. I stand to rearrange my things so there's more room.

Woman: Here, I can help you lift your suitcase like this if you want.
Me: Oh, thanks, that's nice.
Woman: Oh man, this is heavy! What's in here anyway? (Joking)
Me: Oh, I'm moving here for 8 months so it's my whole life.
(Pause)
Woman: Oh No! Don't say that! Don't say that at all! There's dogs all over here. You have to say, what's in here? Oh, just..stones and rocks and important bowls, and plastic games...

Lesson Two: Don't leave your wallet at the bar/tabac
Even if the woman behind you turns out to be really nice and finds it and gives it to the man at the register, and even if you realize five minutes later and run down the street to go get it back, just don't ever ever leave your wallet with ALL your money and id and important numbers in the bar/tabac.

Lesson Three: When you buy a phone card, don't leave the receipt with the code on it at the register
Similar to lesson two. Even if the cashier gives it to the manager and you go get it back ASAP, it's just much easier if you remember to take it with you right away and not risk losing 20 euros.

Voila my lessons. Things I already know, but I've been completely absent-minded here. I have to get better!

No comments: