26 September, 2011

Commute, 9-24-11

This entry was written from the plane to Paris on the day I left for an eight month work contract.

Woke up happysad today. Long road ahead. Dressed, printed directions and booking, hugged Alex goodbye. Packed the car. Drove to my parents, installed Skype, advised them to get a webcam so I can see them and the kids when I feel homesick. Aunt Crystal & Uncle Jeff were there about to install hardwood floors. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Said another round of goodbyes. Held it together. Stopped at Wawa for a last pumpkin spice/hot chocmicals 16oz. That and my egg sandwich and swedish fish, T's treat.

Then it was on the road - we made awesome time, were in DC by 12 noon (3-1/2 hours total drive including rest stop in Maryland). First stop: Air and Space Museum. Hell yes. Free to enter and only $15 to park. I really recommend this if you ever happen to be in or around Dulles. The whole museum is just this huge aircraft hangar. It's deceiving how massive the place is. You walk in, and you see all the huge planes, and you're like, oh, it's not that big. But by the time you have walked one section you've walked the length of at least ten huge aircraft. So yeah, huge. We saw THE Enola Gay, the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. Not a reproduction, but the real thing. That changed the mood real quick. We saw tiny yellow planes, car planes, parachutes, Nazi planes, the Air France commodore, and a Bud Light plane, among others.

Then there was space. A real-life shuttle, satellites, even a freaking jet pack. That made T really happy. Then after that we went up to the observation tower, from which you could see Dulles airport, which I flew out of! Also from the observation tower you could see lots of bugs, huge expanses of green, and the parking lot that housed only 2 yellow cars. My car Sundae looks great in aerial view.

We found a pizzeria called Generous George's. It became clear just how generous George was when the waitress brought over our water - each of us got a pitcher with a straw inside. At one point I looked at another table and saw a ten-year-old chugging out of the pitcher some hot pink sugary drink. Sigh.

Enough of the bad, let's talk about more good. T and I drove around trying to find Sully Park after lunch, and that's when I started to feel sad. Sad to leave him, family, and nervous in general about starting a new life, albeit a temporary one. Less tears this time than in 2008, and I kept remembering what everyone has been telling me - this is so right. I am incredibly fortunate. This is the chance of a lifetime. Eight months is going to fly by.

T & I finally found the park and had a short walk. Then off to the airport where he walked me in and discovered that Cinnabon coffee is terrible. My bag was checked no problem, I was offered a gate right away, and things started to feel better. Until I had to say goodbye. No words for just how hard that is to do.

After a quick pep talk from Donna and Rach over the phone, I approached the group of assistants that had started accumulating at the gate. We shared a group flight (the reason I travelled all the way to DC). What a great way to meet everyone. I don't think anyone on the flight was from Caen, but I now have friends all over France!
And now I'm on the plane. Crazy Heart was awesome. The Troll Toll episode of Always Sunny was on the movie server too. We had a slight delay in Iceland, but we're in the air now and I know where I am going when I land. Such a nicer feeling than I had three years ago. Wide-eyed and lost in the Paris subway, too nervous to speak the French I thought I knew so well after only three semesters.

I look forward to this year and everything it is going to bring me.

A bientot!

No comments: