12 September, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane

Tomorrow I get a Visa. September 24th I leave for France. I do not have a return ticket.

Three years ago I did this. I got on a plane and moved to France for seven months. I left my loved ones for a country I knew next to nothing about, a language I had taken for a year and a half, and a shitty paycheck. This time I am leaving for much more. A career and a boatload of savings on an education being the most important things.

This all feels very surreal at the moment. Am I really going to be teaching high schoolers in Caen? Am I really going to be taking classes at the University? Is it true that I will miss holidays again, and 32 Tuesday nights with my niece and nephew?

Every week in Monday staff meeting at work I jot down a schedule for the next two weeks. This is what today's looked like:


So surreal.

The pluses:
-Time, time, time. Time to write. Time to run.
-Fresh produce market weekly
-Possible cheap housing related to community service
-Skype (didn't have wifi last time, already gave my parents a headset and installed it on their computer)
-AMAZING support system in France, whom I can't wait to spend all my time with
-Current boss is totally understanding
-Going away party with all my besties in one place

Chic, c'est la vie.

2 comments:

emari said...

Can't wait to follow your travels <3

Anita said...

Hey Ash! I am so happy for you. I cannot wait to read about your travels and adventures. You rock girl!!!!!