28 July, 2008

Kudos to Curvature

I just read the entirety of The Curvature's Day of Blogging, and it was phenomenal. In the span of 39 blog entries (which were written to raise money for RAINN - the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization) I gained a ton of knowledge, and a whole lot of respect for Cara as well. She is a fantastic blogger who sheds light on serious feminist issues that I have realized do need to be addressed a hell of a lot more often.

She led me to some Lines that Rock by Julie Buffaloe-Yoder.

My favorite post highlighted a new series of posters from the Date Safe Project that challenge "consent" as it is commonly understood. I am really loving them. Here's my favorite one:



I've kissed a lot of guys. Not horribly too many, but still a lot. And two kisses stand out in my mind. The hands-down best kiss ever happened after I asked him if I could touch his lips with mine. The runner up happened after he asked "May I kiss you?"

Though I've never asked (or been asked) consent for anything more major than that, I'm going to start.

These posters rock.

3 comments:

Rachel B said...

I'm so glad you're reading the Curvature - Cara is well educated, well spoken, and one of the hands down wittiest bloggers I've read in a long time.

Just be careful, and pace yourself - I often need to take self-imposed breaks from her blog, because it can all get to be too much.

Erin said...

Aw, thanks to both of you! I just got called witty! I'm going to have to share this with my husband and family who think that I'm the only one who thinks I'm funny :)

ash said...

Whoa. Thanks to introducing me to Curvature, Rach.

And thanks, Cara, for showing your appreciation. I'm so glad you stopped by - you are an incredible woman and I truly admire you!