09 April, 2012

easter weekend in caen, quiet

i made it over the last hump! last holiday in france before i come home. holidays away from home are generally bad, but easter is the worst for me. all the other holidays, i make sure i am crazy distracted so i won't think about how much i miss my family. halloween with american pals, three thanksgivings (two with americans) christmas in england, new year's in ouistreham. all of them wonderful and distracting. i was afraid easter would be different, that since i wasn't making a fuss about it, i would be mopey all day missing my family.

luckily i had a lovely day/evening with some of my closest friends here. E came to visit me from Lille and I was reminded how valuable that group flight was from DC to France because not only did i meet other assistants but also made friendships that i know are lifelong. we took a tour at the hotel de ville with a friend of mine, who even opened the salle des gardes for us outside of the tour. then coffee with the lovely Whit and Raph followed by an amazing evening of galettes and crêpes chez moi. everyone had to flip their own crêpe, and we had no fails!

loose thoughts:
-three days from now i will be in ROME!
-normandy is too windy to actually take advantage of the umbrella you always have with you. no matter what, you will get soaked.
-the woman at the saint pierre tram stop was blowing really huge bubbles over the sunday market. it was pretty.
-NaPoMo is going steadily but I need to clean up before I post.

No comments: