01 November, 2011

Nov 1 Check-In

It's November already, and oh, how I have been busy.

Halloween was amazing. Pumpkin carving with Americans, Halloween party in Saint Contest Saturday, American-themed dinner in Caen Sunday. And to top it all off a comfy Halloween night chez moi watching Sweeney Todd and skyping mon cheri as he got ready to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters.

And today is November, All Saints Day. It's a national holiday here, which means no school, no work. For the most part, everything is closed. And the church bells are ringing off the hook.

Felt like a good time to look at my goal progress!

1. Get healthy physically, mentally, spiritually: Working on it. Have not set aside any time to meditate. Thinking of doing a cleanse when the seasons change.

2. Run 5k nonstop by March (the 3k track is literally right outside my door): Been to the track twice and can make it over halfway around, which puts me at just about 1.5k. I hope I can get to 5 by March!

3. Find yoga and do it at least weekly - First part down! Found yoga with recommended instructor at a University and first class is on Friday!

4. Eat seasonally: Succeeding. Shopping at the weekly market really helps.

5. See Germany: Planning to go at the end of May when my contract is up. Have been invited to Volksfest by a friend of mine who lives there =)

6. See south of France: Planning to go in February when my friend E comes to visit!

7. Perfect my french: This is an unobtainable goal as my french will never be perfect. But it feels better than ever. More on that later.

8. Cut down dairy/sugar consumption: Success! Despite living in the land of cheese, I have not bought any since I've been here. In fact, the only dairy I have purchased is a tiny can of creme fraiche and a block of butter. Am currently only eating cheese at restaurants/cafeterias, and I can feel the difference.

9. Write poems weekly: Unsuccessful, but turning it around.

10. Try other forms of writing/arts: Not yet.

11. Create lessons that I can use later as a teacher: Yes! I now have three that I can use.

12. Save money: Check.

13. Make awesome friends (already cracking away at this one!): Done and done.

14. Talk to family as often as possible: No trouble there.

15. Translate some French poems: Have found a few poets who pique my interest. Have to choose which poems.

16. Complete National Poetry Month in April (write a poem a day): Still far away.

17. Volunteer: No movement. Gotta get on that.

18. Complete advanced degree of french studies: Pre-registered today!

19. Handmake Christmas presents: Idea ready, and now time to get started on the execution!

1 comment:

Anita said...

My goodness you have been busy!!! I am happy to hear that you are working on some very interesting and exciting goals!!! I am also trying the no dairy thing. I do find it hard when you go out to a restaurant. Do they have vegan restaurants over there??

Keep the blog going as I love checking in on ya!!!

Love and miss ya!